What is Ransomware?
It is a malicious malware that holds your PC and files for ransom until a sum of money is paid. Ransomware spreads through e-mail attachments, infected programs and compromised websites.
How does it work?
There are different types of ransomware, but they can:
- Stop Windows from working, keep you from accessing files due to encryption, and prevent apps (like web browsing) from running
- Demand you pay money or complete surveys before giving you an encryption key or allowing access
How to prevent Ransomware?
There are several things YOU can do to ensure you're not a victim of ransomware.
- Make sure your anti-virus software is up to date
- Do not open suspicious emails or attachments
- If using Internet Explore, turn on Smart Screen
- Turn on Pop-Up Blocker on your web browser
What to do if you have been infected with Ransomware?
Do not pay the ransom. This does not ensure you will receive control over your PC and files. Please call e Tech Solutions so our support staff can assist you.